Tuesday 8 July 2014

Simplicity 1419 Round Trip Dress: The Final Product

Last month I made up a wearable muslin of the Simplicity 1419 Round Trip Dress. The pattern, in a size 12 -grading to a 14 from the waist down, worked out perfectly other than the bodice needing to be shortened. So, I cut into my beautiful Blue Bloom Tessuti Fabrics Japanese Cotton.

Simplicity 1419 Round Trip Dress

For 'the real' version I decided on pattern variation B, which has no collar and short sleeves. Once again I cut a size 12, grading to a 14 from the waist down. The only change I made was to shorten the bodice by 3/8".

Simplicity 1419 Round Trip Dress

The cotton was gorgeous to cut into and to sew. It's quite a wide weave so I did wonder whether I should line or underline the dress but decided against it. The cotton frayed like crazy so I overlocked all the dress pieces before beginning to construct the garment.The fabric is a bit heavier than the lawn and broadcloth I used in my previous version and I really like how the skirt hangs.

Simplicity 1419 Round Trip Dress

There's not to much more to say about this one. The dress came together very quickly having made the 'practice' version. This version was made ever easier without having to fuss over the collar.

Simplicity 1419 Round Trip Dress

I like the fit. The bodice is short enough now and I didn't find the neckline too high, as others have. I haven't decided yet whether I prefer the dress with the sleeves or sleeveless. Unfortunately, I feel a little frumpy in the bold print. Fortunately, I love the dress so much that I'm going to keep on wearing it frumpy or not!

Simplicity 1419 Round Trip Dress
 
Thanks to Jess for taking these shots in our lunch break. Can you tell we are having more windy weather? No complaints though, look at blue sky and sunshine!

12 comments:

  1. It's lovely and far from frumpy! It's always so good to make a dress after using the pattern several times, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliet! I agree, it's fantastic having several items made from the same pattern. Especially as non-sewers would never know the difference.

      Delete
  2. I don't see any frump from here!! I really like the cut of this dress and think it's flattering on you fitting perfectly at the waist and then all flowy-like :) I should try more paper patterns...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nat! I actually don't sew from a lot of non-indie patterns. There too many and it can be a bit overwhelming!

      Delete
  3. I really love it! ANd it looks more slimming than frumpy from the last picture. great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't look frumpy to me at all, I really like it - and it looks like it fits you really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing and no frump at all. I like the extra weight of the fabric as you say the skirt seems to hang nicer with a bit more oomph behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No frump on my rump ;) yeah the fabric really is lovely!

      Delete
  6. I love it, and I don't think you look frumpy at all! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this! i'm such a sucker for florals, and this is divine! and yeah... no sign of frump :)

    ReplyDelete