Monday 15 December 2014

Christmas Liberty Alder Shirtdress

I wanted to make a dress especially for Christmas day but I don't think that's going to happen with all the present sewing I still have ahead of me. Instead I think I'll wear this newly made Liberty Grainline Studio Alder Shirtdress. The colourway is pretty perfect for Christmas and I'll certainly be comfortable.

 
I bought the Eleonora Pink Red Liberty from Tessuti a few months back and immediately cut out a version B size 8 Alder Shirtdress. The pattern pieces then sat in a pile in my sewing room for some weeks. I think I was all buttoned out after making my three previous alder shirtdresses, alder shirts, and Tim's shirt.


There isn't much to say about making this dress that hasn't been said previously. The instructions are excellent and the dress is particularly simple to make if you already have shirt making experience. If not easier to make than a shirt as you don't have to worry about setting in sleeves and attaching cuffs.


The Liberty was amazing to sew with and press. It also feels great to wear and breaths well in the heat. I used self fabric bias binding as I've recently found that the pre-purchased binding often doesn't wear as well and the short time it takes to make it is well worth the effort. The buttons are tan coloured with black stripes coming from the centre.


I love this pattern and I know I'll get heaps of wear from the four I've made up all summer long, add tights and they're winter appropriate too.

 
So unless I'm feeling particularly ambitious Christmas eve this will be my Christmas day dress. Anyone else thinking they might squeeze in last minute hand-made Christmas dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment