Thursday 25 September 2014

Open Wide Zippy Pouch

For my little sisters 18th birthday, Tim, my sister, brother in law and I bought her a basic sewing machine. It's an Elna 2000. Pretty much identical to my Janome except that it already includes additional feet. Gen's a crafty lady and I know she'll get some good use out of the machine over time.

To go with the machine we purchased a few "getting started" goodies like scissors, pins, etc. All we needed was somewhere to put those goodies. I found the perfect fabric at spotlight to make up a zippy sewing pencil case.

Open wide zipper pouch

For the pattern I used the colour blocked version of the open wide zippered pouch tutorial from Noodlehead. In the spirit of Scraptember I used scraps from two of my Alder Shirtdresses for the lining and lower part of the pouch. I also got scrappy when interfacing. I used lots of small left over pieces to cover the lining pieces. I wonder, do others throw out small pieces of interfacing or do you piece it together?

Open wide zipper pouch

The tutorial is fantastic! There are three different size options. I made the largest for my sister and a medium one for myself. I will definitely make more for makeup bags, odds and end etc. It would be great to try a waterproofed fabric version. It's a great project for using up fabric scraps. 

Open wide zipper pouch

Happy 18th Birthday Gen!

No comments:

Post a Comment