Saturday 9 August 2014

Alder Shirtdress The Third: Popover Variation

I love the Grainline Studio Alder Shirtdress. This is my third Alder dress (see 1,2), I have two Alder shirts to be blogged and I see more variations in my future. I'm sick about Alder! This particular version is another Version A (a line) but with a hacked front button placket to make it a popover /pull over. 

Alder Popover shirtdress

I cut a size 8 again after my size 6 pulled across the chest. However, I had a lot of excess room in the sides and you could see down my dress through the arm holes to I brought in the side seams by 1/4". So I guess I am somewhere between a 6 and an 8 with some clever button placement needed across my chest. 

Alder Popover shirtdress

To make the dress a popover I:
1. Folded out the centre front button placket fabric (fold at the second set of notches) and cut the front piece on a fold.
2. Created a pattern piece for the button placket. I did this by using the cuff placket piece from Tim's Negroni Shirt and simply lengthened the piece so that the placket would be around 11" (chosen arbitrarily). I also widened the under placket component so that it would be 1"wide rather than 1/2".
3. Sewed on the button placket piece as instructed in the Negroni pattern and then made up the rest of the pattern per the Alder Shirtdress instructions. 
4. Ta da! Wear dress. 

Alder Popover shirtdress

My fabric is a navy rayon cotton blend with some silver metallic thread through it. The metallic isn't very noticeable but gives the fabric a nice sheen. Going with the theme, my buttons have silver sparkles in them. I used the left over cotton lawn from my latest emery for the under collar & stand as well as the inner yoke and arm hole binding.


Alder Popover shirtdress

This fabric is crazy wrinkly. These photos are taken straight after ironing the fabric - it did nothing! I guess I need to get used to the wrinkly look.
  
Alder Popover shirtdress

I really love this Alder! It was fun trying something different with the popover variation and it's nice to know that I could do something similar with other dresses and tops now. I have just one more must-make Alder shirt dress in my mind before I can give the pattern a rest for a while. Although, I'm sure with the sew-along starting I'll need to try some of the variations Jen plans on sewing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment