Thursday 1 May 2014

Time for Sewing & An Overlocker

After a wonderful trip to Eden & the Blue Mountains with Tim last week, I am finally back at work.


I've been on leave from my work and studies since early Feb and have pretty much sewed every day possible in that time. Heading back to the office is difficult for a few reasons. Just one of those reasons being that I can't sew all day, every day, anymore.


I have a few tricks up my sleeve to help make the most of what time I do have for sewing. 
First, two months in my sewing room has made me a much faster sewer! I can whip through projects in a day (or two evenings) rather than a few weeks. I've noticed such an improvement in my skill and knowledge in this time too!
Second, I'm better at planing out makes now. For example, on Sunday evening I cut fabric for two skirts and Tim's PJ Pants. This means I've got a few projects, of different difficulties, on the go during the week that I can pick up after work if I'm feeling up to it. 
Third, I bought an overlocker (heck yes!!). I finally caved and bought the Aldi re-branded basic Janome overlocker. I'd been thinking about it for weeks and ended up buying it on Monday after work. It was an unplanned purchase. I carried it all the way home on public transport and to and from the train station. I arrived home with led weight arms and blisters on my feet from work shoes I hadn't worn in a long time. It was totally worth it!! 

On the train platform with my precious!!
 So far I've only used it only on wovens. But, its going to be a great help in sewing up my knit layers as pledged for MMM'14. I sewed up Tim's Simplicity PJ Pants on it almost entirely, not bothering with the sewing machine except for the hem and waistband. It is so fast at finishing seams! and damn they look good! I'm really excited about trying some more knit patterns. Please ignore that I wasted close to an hour re-threading, cursing, and tweeting, when I managed to upset it. It's a temperamental thing.


I'd like to say that having less sewing time will make me value what time I do have more, but that assumes I don't already value my sewing. I also thought that I might get bored of sewing every day while I was on leave. That did not happen, at all! If anything, I got more excited to sew as the days went on. I'd love to know how others fit sewing into their days and how much they like to sew each week. Are you a sewing junkie like me, or are you more of a everything in moderation person?  

20 comments:

  1. The overlocker from Aldi was a Janome?! Oh man, I really missed it! Please keep updating how it runs, hopefully Aldi will have them again =S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm told. Its identical anyway. not sure where you live but there's still some left in Melbourne

      Delete
  2. Glad you got that new overlocker sorted - you'll be unstoppable now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee, Can't believe it took me a month of indecisiveness to get it!

      Delete
  3. You know it wasn't until you posted about your overlocker being sensitive that I remembered I've put the tension to 0 every time I've changed the thread. I guess I got lucky because it was included in the youtube video I watched the very first day I got the machine. I've actually never had problems with mine and I think its been more than a year now. I'm wondering now that you've fixed the width of the stitch and the tension when changing threads, whether you've encountered all the problems you're likely to have?

    I find it really hard to sew after work. I do a 3 hour round commute so I'm pretty tired in the evenings and more often than not I have to unpick what I sew even if I try. I think your plan to prep things on the weekend and have a go at bits and pieces throughout the week sounds great.

    I have to admit that when I do sew during the week, even though I'm tired, it's an enormous stress reliever.

    All the best with your new routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jodie,
      I haven't encountered any other problems thus far, and I'm hoping I wont. I don't consider the issues I have had totally problematic - just part of the learning curve.
      absolutley agree with you about sewing being a stress reliever! I often have to push myself to sew in the evenings because I'm so tired. But as soon as I start I feel better!

      Delete
  4. I've been on maternity leave since July so am juggling my sewing around kids and housework (like many others). I'm not much good at sewing at night as I'm generally too tired but try to fit it around nap times and my 3yo's TV time. I've definitely found that blogging is a real motivator for me to get things finished, even though it takes up so much time!! I also write a list every month - and post it - on what I plan to make that month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found I wanted to sew even more after starting the blog as well. I feel like I want something to show of myself each week.
      I'm sure its tricky fitting in time to sew around kids. But on the other hand it must be nice being able to rely on have a little bit of time to sew most days.

      Delete
  5. Total sewing junkie! At home on maternity with 2 very small children and any time they are not awake is sewing time! Housework, schmousework!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think we are pretty similar there. any minute that is filled with something else should be filled with sewing!

      Delete
  6. Wow thats great that you got an overlocker. I definitely think I will need one in the near future. I work 12 hour shifts so I like to sew on my days off.I really dont like the cutting out but it has to be done. It just takes me forever. I Sometimes cut on an evening and then I have it all ready to sew for the next day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think evenings are great for putting together PDF's and cutting fabric. It means you get get an annoying job done before starting a day dedicated to sewing. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm always thinking about sewing at work and then I get home and I'm too pooped to sew. I probably do a few hours on the weekend...but my day job is getting in the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel Mel! I'm sure you'll find your sewing speed will pick up as you go and you'll be able to fit more into the time you have.

      Delete
  8. I try to sew every night for about 30 minutes. When I get bigger breaks, I sew like a maniac. Good luck finding a balance -- some weeks I get a lot done and other weeks my day job exhausts me!

    I am jealous of the overlocker -- I have been lusting after one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a good way of doing things Annie.
      If I'm too tired to sew after work then I like to cut our PDF patterns or cut into fabric. I do those things in the main area of out apartment so I can watch TV with Tim at the same time.

      Delete
  9. I'm not working at the moment, and having finished jeans, a bra, some shorts, a running armband, it's just occurred to me, that there is no such thing as the end of the sewing to do list! I will never make it through my stash! Although I'd sew all day and all night if I could, I guess it's a good thing that sometimes life gets in the way a little :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely isn't a finish line for sewing, but I like it that way. I create the list, I'm the reason my list is so long. I enjoy the process as much as I enjoy wearing my finished makes.

      Delete
  10. yay! I am so excited you have an overlocker. You will love it so much and it really does make your hand made clothes last longer (especially if you are like me and just toss everything into the washing machine instead of hand washing).

    I've been sewing most of my life and I think I could sew every day and not get sick of creating something new every time. It's so great to have such a fulfilling and practical hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm stoked too. I desperately need to buy some more thread for it.
      Yes that's exactly how I feel as well. Sewing is more than a hobby for me. It's taking over my life. Makes me think I chose the wrong the path, but there's always time to change?

      Delete