Saturday 3 May 2014

Navy Moss With Heart & Horse

I wear my Denim Grainline Studio Moss Skirt all the time, at least a few times a week. I love my Liberty cord Moss but its not quite as wearable as my denim version. I set out to make another cord version with a bit more modesty so it would be suitable for work as well as play.

Cord Moss Skirt

I cut a size 10 with no alterations from a Navy Cord I had in my stash. For the facings and pockets I used left over fabric from my Full O'Heart Dress. I love the way the patterned fabric looks against the navy.

Cord Moss Skirt

I sewed up the skirt quicker than ever, this is my 5th version and it's pretty ingrained in my memory now. The only changes I made were to sew the hem facing pieces on with a slightly larger seam allowance as I find the Moss mini a bit too mini, but the lengthened version just a tad to too long. I also stitched in the ditch to attach the waistband and hem facing, rather than hand sewing. Seriously, who out there is hand sewing that shiz, and why oh why?

Cord Moss Skirt

The insides of the skirt are a bit of a mish-mash. I overlocked a few seams and then I temporarily broke my overlocker. Don't worry, it's in perfect health now. But, in a rage, I finished the rest of the skirt on the sewing machine. I really wish I had of remembered to reverse the pocket lining so that the heart fabric was right side up from the inside of the skirt.

Cord Moss Skirt

My only issue with the skirt is some severe puckering at the waistband and hemband. I think the cord must have stretched out as I was sewing so I couldn't get it to fit the waistband and hem band pieces properly. I know I could have gathered the pieces in a bit more but I just didn't have the patience for it. I've never been a perfectionist and I'm not going to change now. In the future, I must remember to stay stitch my skirt pieces.

Cord Moss Skirt

Not much more to say about this skirt. Despite the puckers, I hope it gets as much wear as my Denim Moss. It debuted today at my nieces birthday party (here's the horsey part). For my nieces birthday I made her a gathered elasticated skirt. My sister told me to think horse when looking for a gift. I couldn't find any horsey fabric in store so I went online. There are so many horse themed fabrics on Spoonflower but my favourite was this one: "All the pretty little horses".  I love that its mostly grey but with some really lovely pick, yellow, orange tinges.

Kid's Horse skirt

The package came this week (3.5 weeks from order date). Thankfully a gathered skirt only takes an hour to make. I only bought a metre of fabric. I used the whole width of the fabric from the skirt. For the length I estimated based on the waist to knee length cited in size charts of Aussie kids clothing stores. I bought some special silver sparkly elastic from Darn Cheap for the waistband. I think it turned out great. Perhaps slightly big as Ava is lean and long.

Girls gathered skirts

I had some left overs but not nearly enough to make anything for myself so I decided to make a smaller skirt to pop on Etsy, then I caught the bug and made to others. Kids clothes are such a  fun and quick make between bigger personal makes.

11 comments:

  1. Super cute facings- I think that's one of my favourite parts of sewing is getting to sneak some fun in there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! it's great using up scraps from makes you love as well!

      Delete
  2. I love the inside of your skirt! Your niece's skirt is so cute too. I love making clothes for my younger siblings because they always sew up fast and are fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! sewing kids clothes really is quick and easy. Super satisfying!

      Delete
  3. Keee-ute facings! I've been eyeing off this pattern for a while but have so many others i've bought to try first. It's on the "to buy" list!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Moss Mini is ace! but I have to say the horses stole my heart, oh I like them so much. I hope your niece liked her sparkly trim skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! She did indeed. A bummer its a little to big- she's such a skinny mini!

      Delete
  5. I love your Moss mini! I'm dying to make this skirt... so much in the queue... but corduroy is one of the fabrics I want to use for it too! :) I love the fun facings - it's like you have a secret party in your clothes - haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A cord skirt is an essential and should just the queue!
      A pants party?

      Delete
    2. Haha - I was thinking that, but it's not pants... a skirt party? LOL

      Delete