Monday 1 December 2014

Birthday Pom Pom Tutu

After seeing a store version my sister, Nat,  requested a pom pom tutu dress for V for her 2nd birthday. I found these two images on Pinterest for some inspiration. It looks like pom pom tutus are, in fact, a thing, but they are rarely seen in stores or on the streets. At least, I've  never witnessed a pom pom tutu in the wild, until now.


I ended up making up V's outfit as I went along. I decided I'd make a skirt and dress that could be worn together (like a dress) or separately so that the skirt can be worn as a dress up.  


For the skirt I layered together a whole lot of soft white and purple tulle with the outermost layer a double layer, folded in half at the hem. I sewed up the back centre seam, filled the outer layer with pom poms, gathered the skirt and attached it to a glitter elastic waistband. As easy as that. Except that I kind of hated sewing the tulle. It shifted around and was incredibly hard to see. Some dodgy sewing was involved, but luckily V doesn't care one bit.



I used the Pretty In Peplum dress pattern as a basis for the dress. I cut a size 2, extended the peplum to be a circle skirt and attached it to the bodice. Instead of the intended neckline facings I cut a neckband to attach. I top stitched dress in purple thread to match the purple tutu. The fabric is a cotton knit with a simple but cute cake slice print.


V was a little confused as to why there were pom pom inside her skirt but otherwise it was well received. She looks ridiculously cute in her new skirt! Happy 2nd birthday V.

No comments:

Post a Comment