Wednesday 17 December 2014

Sew Cheap December (Final!) Free Pattern Review: Tate Top

This year has absolutely flown and this is my final (!) monthly Sew Cheap Make and Free Pattern Review of the year. I sewed this top up last night after stressing that I still had so much Christmas present making to do. Self sabotage at its best! This is the Workroom Social Free Tate Top Pattern. It's a racer back top with a zipper closure and front neckline darts with options for a square racer back, cropped length or tunic length. The top is available in multi sizing but is drafted for a B cup.


The PDF pattern came together easily with four pattern pieces: front bodice, back version A, and two pieces to make up back version b. I decided to make the traditional racerback version as there are no line drawings or pictures of the square back and I've never tried that style on. I cut a size 8 based on the final measurements in the tunic length. Only final measurements are provided so remember to pick the size based on your bust measurement plus ease.


My fabric is a I-cant-quite-remember-what from Darn Cheap fabrics, bought last year. I bought this fabric as soon as it was made available but I just couldn't picture it as anything. I'm so happy I decided on this top for it. I'm also pleased I took a little extra care in getting the stripes to match up at the seams. 


Changes: I did make a couple of simple changes. I didn't think a zip was necessary so I left a slit at the centre back neckline and added a hook and eye. I much prefer this finish on a summer blouse. I took about 3" of the front, and a bit more from the back before hemming, this also removed some of the curved back hem line. The tunic length was like a dress on me. However, this did make me think what a fun dress this would make by adding 10" or so.


There are absolutely no instructions provided for this pattern. The website states that instructions were provided for those taking part in The Sewing Party classes. However, this top is a very basic design so anybody with a few garments under their belt would be able to put this together. Construction is: neckline darts; centre back seam with zip or slit; shoulders; side seams bias binding neckline and armholes. Seam allowances are included at 5/8". 


I French seamed the side and shoulders seams, but stitched and overlocked the centre back before pressing seam allowances away from each other and stitching around the slit at the upper back neckline. 

 
I really like the way this top turned out and I will definitely use the patten again. what a fabulous summer staple pattern. I can see it made up in a whole range of gorgeous bright silks and rayons. The fit is really good. I definitely recommend giving this pattern a go. However those with a bigger cup size will definitely have to consider a FBA.


Tim took photos this morning as we headed out the door (hence the tired eyes) and I get the pleasure of wearing a new top to a sad goodbye lunch for a wonderful colleague and friend followed by a cheerful celebration dinner of mine and Tim's anniversary.

If you like this post, check out my Sew Cheap: Top Tips Sew Cheap: Free Patterns and previous Sew Cheap posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment