Sunday 30 November 2014

Birthday Dress: Modified M6961

This time of year brings out stressy sewing in me. Having enough time to sew for Birthday gifts, Christmas gifts as well as wanting to sew a couple of summer frocks for my birthday and upcoming festive season can all get a bit overwhelming. Thankfully everything I need for my birthday dress was already purchased. I decided on McCall's 6961, of which there are almost no reviews. The sleeveless top is cute, but I'd never be tempted by those sleeves or the multi layer ruffle. What I imagined when I bought the pattern was a cross body floaty dress.


I cut a size 12 bodice grading to a 14 waist/ hips. This is one size down from what is recommended on the envelope to account for enormous amounts of ease. I've lost a small amount of weight recently and in hind-sight I should have cut a 10-12. I cut version A, but used the skirt off another pattern. I also cut a skirt lining as my fabric was quite sheer. 


My fabric is a stunning cotton from Darn Cheap Fabrics. The feel and drape is just beautiful, much more like rayon or cotton silk blend. Not to mention the print! I bought this shopping with Rachel who was convinced it had to become a dress - and she was right. 


The pattern instructions are fabulous and I didn't deviate except to add the skirt lining, french seams where possible, and to deal with fitting issues. 


I took the straps in a 3", sewed 1"seam allowances on the side seams. Even so, the dress was looking very blousy and loose around the waist seam. I had the genius (read major quick fix) idea to add 1/4"elastic around the waist to cinch in the waist line and just embrace the bodice blouseyness.


I adore how this dress turned out, imperfections and all. it feel technically wrong to have added elastic, but on the other hand if it works, how can it be wrong? I've never sewn a dress with a side seam zipper before and it went in quite easily but definitely made the dress harder to adjust for fit.


The dress is a little more revealing than I'm used to. I don't know when it happened but my preferences for modesty have definitely changed over the last few years. I tacked down the wrap to front to prevent any mishaps. I'm not, however, phased by exposed bra straps.


I wore this dress out to a family dinner followed by cake at our apartment. Tim organised the most delicious Crepe Cake for me. I freaking love my birthday and I love having a fuss made over me once a year. I had an absolutely amazing day with Tim yesterday starting with pancakes and ending in pork ribs. I also received amazing gifts from my incredibly generous family and friends. What a fabulous way to start my 27th year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment