I sewed up a straight size 6 which equates to approx one size too big in my chest but the right size at the waist and hips. I made up the shirt from a Darn Cheap lightweight cotton that wrinkles like crazy. I love the fabric and eyed it off for a while before I found it in a bargain bin and bought a few metres.
In terms of construction, I made the top up following the instructions but avoiding the vintage techniques. As this was my first attempt and I didn't both making the bound buttons holes or hand sewing the kimono sleeve and bodice hems. The only hand sewing I did was sewing on the buttons and attaching the inside collar.
My two favourite aspects of the shirt are the bow and the button back. The bow is a separate piece of fabric which you cleverly thread through a a 'hole' between the centre front bodice top and collar.
The centre back closes with 5 buttons. I used self-covered buttons and I love them!
I ended up adding a 6th button just below the waist. While I'm not against a little lower back flashing the lowest button stopped right on my waist and the fabric pulled out at my belly (as seen in the left photo below). By adding the 6th button below my waist the shirt sits nicer (right photo) in my opinion.
I had a lovely time at the sewing outing. Met a few favourite Melbourne bloggers for the first time and got to know some other wonderful sewing ladies. I love shopping with others (fabrics, clothes, whatever) because I love a bit of peer pressure and enabling others purchases. From the Fabric store I bought a beautiful shiny suiting weight blue wool which is destined to become a pencil skirt. From Clear It I picked up some red Chambray (no plans) and navy drill (test pencil skirt fabric). I was too overwhelmed in Buttonmania to buy anything. I know I'll end up regretting that. Finally we went to Luccello. Wow! what an amazing store. I bought a metre of on-sale medium weight Liberty fabric. I'd never been Buttonmania or Luccello before, boy was I missing out. I can't wait to start sewing!