Saturday 19 October 2013

Something old, something new

Over the next month or so I will try catch this blog up on my makes from the last 11 months, as well as keeping up to date with my new makes, sewing plans and thrifting gems!


Button Jumper

Something old...Most of my sewn items are from beginner patterns. For me, easy to make also often means easy to wear. Wrap-around skirts, loose fitting blouses and floaty dresses are fun, comfy,  and weekend friendly. 


Tilly and the Buttons Miette SkirtTilly and the Buttons Miette Skirt


Tilly's wrap-around Miette skirt was the first item of clothing I ever made. I love wrap-around skirts because they are fun to wear, fit me regardless of what my weight is doing at any given time, and are also easily adjustable after a big meal. 


Tilly and the Buttons Miette Skirt


For my first attempt I very carefully and slowly followed Tilly's amazing detailed photo tutorial. Everything came together perfectly! For my first item of clothing to come together that smoothly gave me such a huge confidence boost! I made my skirt in super cheap black drill I got second hand at a local op-shop. I made the no-pockets version. The only change to the skirt I made was to make the waistband facing and tie facing in a bright orange floral quilting cotton.

Tilly and the Buttons Miette Skirt


I LOVE this skirt! I have worn it heaps and think the orange ties really give it something special. Following this successful completion I was soon asked by my sister for an exact replica but with pockets and green polka dot waistband and ties. The skirt came together so quickly the second time and was a big hit with my sister. Obviously, I decided to make myself another version, this time with pockets. I liked Tilly's bright blue denim version but wasn't able to find any locally. I decided to go with bright blue broadcloth. I used a scrap from an old skirt for the waistband facing. I haven't worn this version as much, but coming into summer I can see that it will take a more prominent place in my wardrobe. 


Tilly and the Buttons Miette Skirt


I highly recommend this pattern! It's an easy peesy make with enough steps to keep a beginner interested and feeling like they are learning something new. 

So now to my something new... While I'm still on the hunt for the perfect conference Cambie fabric, I caved and bought that beautiful dress from marcs. I always feel better about spending a lot of money on one item if I can then find a few bargains. Yes, I spend MORE money to justify spending so much money. Does anyone else also use this logic? So, today I went op-shopping with a thirfting champion (also known as my sister). 


Vintage play suit op-shop find

I found some amazing vintage dress up's which I didn't purchase. But seriously the top in that orange play suit had a wonderful cut and I did consider buying it. On a less serious note, it can be tricky finding just the right hat for the spring racing carnival...


vintage hat op-shop find


I ended up walking away from the trip with a black cotton high-waisted skirt ($7), a pink wrap around cardigan ($10), a navy woolen structured work dress ($10) which resembled the Mae blouse in the top and the Elisalex dress in the skirt, AND the below pictured jumper($7).


button jumper op-shop find

I am in-love with this heavenly spring jumper. It's so soft and warm. It would go perfectly over a silk blouse or cami with a high-waisted skirt. I adore the buttons, especially the two bunny rabbits! Of course, it would be easy to replicate. But why replicate when it's already in such a state of perfection and costs just $7?(!)

button jumper



No comments:

Post a Comment