Monday 14 October 2013

A post of firsts!

Unsurprisingly, as a novice sewer, I am regularly ticking 'firsts' off the list. Joining Instagram and starting this blog were huge firsts for me! I'm normally not much of a 'joiner', more of a watcher (sounding a little creepy....). I suppose over the next few months (assuming I stick with this blogging thing) I will be documenting many sewing-related firsts! 

Today's firsts include entering my first ever blog giveaway! Again, I note the unusual joining-like behaviour I am exhibiting. Quarter life crisis perhaps? Anyhow, Abbey at SewCharleston  is hosting a giveaway for a beautiful fabric bundle from the Art Gallery's Minimalista collection. Abbey made a Washi / Laurel dress hybrid which is divine. The entry also required commenting on SewChaleston's blog. So, this is not only my first giveaway entry, but also my first blog comment. I've been following so many sewing blogs religiously over the past year but I've never commented! From today I will try to regularly comment on blogs and interact with the online community. 

My third first is the completion of my first Sewaholic Alma blouse. And I'm in love! I made version A in a pink and light blue/purple tiny floral cotton print I picked up at a thread den North Melbourne market last month.  Now for some terrible quality pictures: 

Sewaholic's Alma Blouse


Sewaholic's Alma Blouse

I made size 10 and its too big. I cut the fabric a month ago and have since lost a little weight. I wore the top today for work tucked into a high-wasted skirt. Tucking the top in helps make it look a little more fitted. 

Sewaholic's Alma Blouse


It took me a while to get my head around this make as it includes more darts than I've sewn in a top before (another first). But it was so much easier than I expected! It ended up being a really fun quick sew. I especially love that the pattern includes instructions on how to enclose the sleeve seams. 

The only change I made to the pattern was to omit the zipper. I basted the side seams together to check first and actually ended up taking in the side seems a further quarter inch. I can easily get it over my head. I noticed that my neckline triangle cut out is a little smaller than some others I've seen in the blogosphere. Not sure why that might be. I might cut it a little deeper next time. 


Sewaholic's Alma Blouse

Next time I will also cut a size 8 - and there will definitely be a next time, perhaps many next times. I cannot wait to find another pretty print to make this up in. I would love to make up version B with the peter pan collar. Check out this gorgeous version b creation, and this one, and this one.

That's all for today's firsts! But I know there will be more to come tomorrow. Until then....

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging. Now you've started commenting and blogging you'll find an amazing (and time consuming world :)). Love the blouse and the fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty, thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes, it's difficult enough to find the time to sew. I'll have to see how I get on with making time to do both. Thanks for the support!

      Delete