Monday 5 January 2015

Catherine's Alice top

This year I sewed a present for Tim's mum, Catherine, for Christmas. 


When I made up my first Tessuti Alice Top I knew it would suit her perfectly so put away in my mind the idea that I might make her a version at some point. In November I saw this gorgeous red and white textured cotton Japanese lawn in The Cloth Shop and knew it had to be for Cathy. This fabric just looks like her. The yoke and armbands are lined with a cotton  / silk blend. 


I wanted the present to be a surprise so I had some drama's trying to figure out appropriate sizing in discussions with Tim and his Dad. I tried visually sizing her up (which was weird) but one thing sewing will teach you is that actual body measurements are different from RTW and what you think someone looks like. In the end I took a gamble and made up the top in the XS (same size as me). Thank goodness, it fits! The size is spot on and Cathy wore the top Christmas evening.


I was very nervous and excited to give this gift and so relieved when it fit. Cathy looked fantastic in this style top and the beautiful fabric. For a review on making up this top, including printing tips check out my first and second versions. That's the last of my hand made 2014 Christmas gifts. Better get started on next years. Jokes, it's going to be all about me me me for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment