The Papercut Patterns packaging was so beautiful and it inspired me to get started straight away. I decided to make up version 1 as I think version 2 would only work in a more subtle fabric. I cut a size XS bust grading to a S waist and hips which matched my measurements. It ended up quite big from my waist down and next time I'll cut a straight XS. I really like the fit in the front but you can see in the photo below how much excess fabric in the back there is.
To begin with I cut out the main bodice and sleeve pieces as I hadn't completely decided whether I would end up lining the jackets and potentially changing my mind about the most appropriate ribbing. I know others have lined their jacket or wish they had. My jacket insides are far from perfect but I was happy enough not to bother with lining. I used an old men's shirt for the pockets and while I would have liked to bias bind the edges I couldn't be bothered thinking through how to do it. I did bind the edges on the facing to give it a smooth finish.
Overall I really like the way the jacket turned out! I love the fabric I chose but it is a little stiff. Hopefully it will loosen up with time. This fabric would still make a really fun Moss mini. I'm definitely tempted, but my planned Liberty Moss mini is the priority for now. This jacket is very different to anything else I own and will take some time to integrate into my wardrobe. So far I've styled it with Jeans and a simple tank. As it's summer I don't think it will get much wear for a few months. These photos were taken at 9am this morning under a shady tree and it was stinkin' hot!
I will make another version for winter later in the year. For my second bomber I plan to make a lined version in a more subtle grey or navy thick but soft fabric, perhaps a knit or wool. I want it to be the jacket I reach for each day and live in on cool winter weekends. Let's see how I get on.